Thursday 13 May 2010

Blog - "Dead End Stations"

I've spent a lot of time travelling around the UK. Well, England actually, seeing as I've never gone north of the border, and the only alternative then is Wales, and that just isn't happening. Amongst my list of locations, we have central locations like Halifax, Lincoln and York, and they're nice enough. In fact, Lincoln is easily one of my favourite places because of the hulking great castle. I quite like castles. I've also been to Lancaster, though I haven't been to the castle yet, which disappoints me.

I've also been to a lot of dead end stations. Now, I'm not actually a fan of dead end stations, but mostly because I've always lived at one. Originally it was Hull, which has a gigantic river behind it. Now it's Blackpool, which, despite having three main stations and several small ones, has every single train going straight through Preston.

Went to Preston once. Quaint place; no castle.

Other than castles, most of my travels have been in the pursuit of the female flesh, though I never went as far as Mexico as I had hoped to do with girlie one. Girlie three was the main one. I went all the way to Peterborough (for pizza) then on to St. Neots for her. Lot of pubs there, but I didn't actually go in any. I regret this now. I took a jaunt to Cambridge at this time, though I only got a real feel for the place later on. I also went to London for the first time for this woman, which turned out to be unecessary, but in no way a waste of time. We defiled a bar called Molly O' Grady's above the Victoria Station.

If you go there, think of me. Try to do it in technicolour, as white will not be your friend on such an occasion. If they'd have had a castle, I would have used the dungeon in a heartbeat for the exact same purpose.

Girlie four was another excuse to travel, this time wandering over to Liverpool. This is one of the few stations where I haven't painted the floors as the result of a close encounter with a girlie in the bathrooms. I'd never been there, and it turned out to be much more of a student town anyway, but I somewhat enjoyed it, except on the buses. That was a bit of a dead end station though. I switched on the wrong train from there at one point and got extremely lost, but that's alright. Once I'm found again, I enjoy myself.

I'm not sure where I'll go next; perhaps Manchester. We'll see where the new promotions job takes me, but I have spent a lot of time, sitting in train stations, scribbling away in one of my many notepads. Some great stuff turns up in there, but there's also the usual abundance of crap that comes out of any writers head. 

You need to clear out the junk to make room for the good stuff after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm grateful for any comments that I receive. Thank you.