Monday 27 February 2012

Blog - "Fat Friends"

Since I was a kid, and by kid I mean about eight years old, I've always had a problem with my weight. I don't mean to say that I've always had trouble fitting in the new slimline doors at McDonald's, or that I used to spend weeks throwing my fingers down my throat. I'm not one of those people, but I've still had immense trouble getting past about a hundred pounds, ever since before I was even a teenager.

This announcement is generally met in very certain ways. Either people accuse me of that whole being sick thing, or they say that I don't eat. More often than not, people would say something along the lines of "I'll fatten you up". This never happened. I've heard it from almost twenty people over the years.

The truth is, sometimes changing your weight is difficult. It's a lot to do with habits. I am always doing something. When watching a film, I'll be writing something, or twirling a pen. I'm only idle when I'm asleep, and even then, I turn a lot before I actually fall asleep. For people who weigh a lot, chances are that they don't move all that much, either because they work in jobs that aren't altogether active, or they just enjoy being still by habit. Of course, some people are like that. Neither way is considered a bad thing.

Now, as regular readers will know, I've been making a lot of changes over the last few months. I got a new place, I lost the long hair, et cetera. Soon, of course, I'm getting published, which is a rather large change, but one caused generally by all of the changes that have already occurred. Amongst these, I've started to gain some weight. In the last four months, I've gained eighteen pounds. Add that to the general increase that'd been going on lately, and I've actually managed to get all the way up to 126 pounds, a personal best and record high for me.

I'm still hearing a lot about Anorexia, and "well, you must have never eaten anything". I'm wondering if people with weight loss issues, i.e. those that weigh more than the healthy amount, encounter the same problems. If people come up to them and shout "well, just stop eating and you'll be fine", while any time in a gym is dangerous because the amount of work they do puts enough strain on an already weakened heart to potentially kill them.

For me, gaining weight is a big plus. I feel better in myself, more confident in my shape and I'm actually starting to be much stronger. I'm much happier, but it's taken me almost a decade for this to start happening. What then about the other side?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm grateful for any comments that I receive. Thank you.