Saturday 9 October 2010

Blog - "In The Name Of Tim Burton"

Hello there kind readers,

So, I'm a fairly colossal Tim Burton fan. I find it quite confusing that Beetlejuice was performed by the same actor who starred as Batman, but that's part of the Burton majesty; nothing makes sense in his world unless you truly understand the genius.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is likely my favourite piece of work from him. I often recognise hints of Burton at work, and this includes the input of Danny Elfman's vocal and musical talents too. I think Elfman has a certain impact on my enjoyment as well. For example, in Batman Returns, I spotted Elfman's particular style before I even knew it was a Burton film, but from that I could work it out. Since he performed as the voice of Jack Skellington, though only while singing, I can claim him as the main reason I love the film so much. It's like The Rocky Horror Picture Show; the music never fails to please.

Let's take, for example, Burton's version of Sweeney Todd. Several months before I saw this, I saw Roy Winstone starring as the character in either a BBC or an ITV presentation of the same story, but with a much closer line of sympathy for the main character. I enjoyed it, but the story was very different. Afterwards, I watched the Burton version and loved it. Even though I know the songs were already scripted, the intensely Gothic design and cinematography allowed Johnny Depp to be entirely psychotic. It was beautiful.

I also liked the way they used colour in Corpse Bride. The world of the living was bland and monochrome. The world of the dead was a party and a half.

If I ever became a scriptwriter, I would likely follow in a very similar vein of madness and utterly inconsolable insanity. I do it anyway, so I think it would suit me.

I'd likely start with Murder: The Musical. I've been working on that for years.

1 comment:

  1. 'I also liked the way they used colour in Corpse Bride. The world of the living was bland and monochrome. The world of the dead was a party and a half.'
    One of the very things I love about that movie.
    Not many people tend to notice that 'detail'.

    ReplyDelete

I'm grateful for any comments that I receive. Thank you.