Friday 5 November 2010

Blog - "Belonging In Motion"

So, Tom Colohue's on a train again. Greetings from the nicely crowded train to Manchester Airport.

I feel certain that, at some point, we've all felt the urge to be anywhere but home. You can't put your finger on the exact reasons yet, but you're just feeling restless and in need of a break. You know what I mean; I'm sure. You just need to step out of your life for a little while. With this in mind, I've finally decided the following:

I absolutely love trains.

It might well be all of the excitement of Tommyfest so short a time ago, but my life has seemed quite droll lately. It can't help that the Ultimate-Guitar London mini-festival was last year - leaving me trying to hire a drumkit, on the day of the event, from the train down there. I didn't even realise how much I loved that until a time afterwards, but I did.

Even though, this time, there's no big event coming, I'm quite excited inside. I'm not trying to discuss my niece, or her parents here; I love them both to pieces, but the events that I manage give me an incredible rush of belonging that I've never received from my family. It feels like I'm going back to work, and I'm near ecstatic about it.

The farther I get from home, the better I feel. Even fighting a cold and being annoyingly single: this eclipses that. I need more festivals to work, and more interviews to do. I need to soak up the utter beauty of music events and spend my life as part of it all. My home is the train now, and I most certainly did not expect that.

I suppose it's all about belonging really. I've worked from home too long to like it, but the world at large is still a scary place. Do I belong here? Do I belong there? Maybe I belong somewhere I haven't even discovered yet? How would I know?

I suppose I'll be on the trains a while yet.

Tom Colohue

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm grateful for any comments that I receive. Thank you.