Friday 9 November 2012

OP - "200m That India Didn't Need"

I suspect I'm not the only person in the world who had no idea that the UK was still offering foreign aid to India, accounting for 200m of our budget until 2015. (recently reduced from 280m) This is a substantial figure, and it's admirable that Britain should offer countries in need the necessary funding to stay afloat in times of need.

Like Greece.

And Spain.

And Portugal.

But wait a second; India?

India can afford their own space program. Their economic wealth is well on the way to eclipsing ours. Why were we still giving them money? Sure, I can understand the concept when it first started, when India was suffering under lack of export capability and a lack of interest in their national heritage, but things have moved on now. Pranab Mukherjee, current Indian President, referred to the money as "peanuts" for god's sake. It means nothing to them.

I can't be the only person glad to hear that it's ending. Our country doesn't seem to put any focus on self-preservation, and we're suffering massively on being too nice for our own good. Want to survive for free? Come to the UK. We are the proverbial nice guy that finishes last, or so it seems to me.

It's time we learned to look after ourselves a little better. This is a perfect example of a balance attempting to restore itself. Where's my space program? I want to go to Jupiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm grateful for any comments that I receive. Thank you.